The skin is the largest organ of the body. It has tiny openings called pores through which harmful chemicals contained in skin care products can make their way into the bloodstream or other organs/parts of the body; this is why an ointment can be applied topically on the skin to relieve joint pain.
The liver is the powerhouse for detoxification. When nutrients and chemicals from products, food and drugs we take enter the body, they pass through the liver, where harmful substances are trapped and destroyed.
The word detoxification has been defined narrowly and broadly by many health experts. Still, all these definitions have a similar conclusion which is that “detoxification is the removal of toxins from the body”.
Ancient ways of detoxification:
There are various ways the body can be detoxified, which can, in turn, reflect on the skin.
There are numerous detoxification practices which date back to 2000 years ago. Most of these practices were used in Ancient Egypt, China, India and Roman Empire. Some of these practices are:
Restricted diets involve the use of herbs and fruits to purge the body.
Use of enemas
Sweat lodges etc
All these ancient practices are still in use to date.
Simple ways of detoxifying the body:
The world has evolved, and the practice of detoxification also evolved into simpler ways that can be self-implemented.
These ways include:
1) Adequate water intake.
It is recommended to drink at least two litres of water daily. Water helps the kidney flush out toxins from the body, which we pass out in the urine.
2) Eating foods high in antioxidants and fibre, including garlic, ginger, turmeric, cabbage etc.
3) Sip on some herbal tea. Green tea is an excellent choice. You can also get our herbal detox tea from @herbsmacy.
4)Reduce intake of sugar and processed food.
5) Adequate sleep. Sleep helps to relax the muscles, which in turn re-energies the body.
6) Exfoliate your skin. This helps to remove dead skin and also improves blood circulation to the skin. This, in turn, helps skincare products penetrate the skin faster for effective results.
7) Do not forget to exercise. Exercising helps improve blood circulation, which has tremendous benefits like relieving stress and tension, making the joint lubricated and also improving digestion.
In conclusion, if you want to take up a skincare regimen, first detoxify your body. Before you switch up that product you’ve been using for a while now for a more natural product, it’s advised first to detoxify. This helps your skin get rid of harmful synthetic products which your skin might have been in contact with and give way to the maximal effect of your new natural products. Also, make it a habit to incorporate exfoliating at least once a week into your skincare regimen, as this helps shade off those dead skin cells and reveals brighter glowing skin.
Thanks for reading our blog post for the week. Stay tuned as we bring you more juicy topics next week.
Written by Racheal Matthew
Associate Tutor @plantsacademy
IG – Wracheal1